Seniors Defeat Clonbullogue

November 8, 2018


Last Saturday the Edenderry senior footballers easily defeated Clonbullogue at home in Division 2 Football League to give new manager Jack Sheedy the perfect start in competitive football.

Edenderry started brightly, and opened the scoring with a Basil Malone free kick which was awarded for a Clonbullogue player handling the ball on the ground. Cillian Farrell added Edenderry’s second point when he sent a free over the bar after a foul on Basil Malone. Big midfielder Richie Dalton then added his side’s third point, when he kicked a long range point. Then Clonbullogue got on the scoreboard when their full forward kicked a very good point. Cillian Farrell cancelled out that score when he kicked a good point after excellent play from Robbie Glennon. Edenderry were very nearly in for a goal when Martin Keogh found Basil Malone with a brilliant pass, but as Basil turned for goal he was fouled by a Clonbullogue defender and The Reds had to settle for a point from the resulting free which Basil converted himself. Cillian Farrell then scored his third point after a good move involving Colm Byrne, Robbie Glennon and Johnny Hurst. Clonbullogue scored a goal when a forward gave Colin McNamara no chance as he sent him the wrong way from close range. Clonbullogue then reduced Edenderry’s lead to the minimum when they converted a long range free. But the Clonbullogue comeback was halted abruptly when Richie Dalton made a soaring catch in the middle of the field and laid the ball off to Cillian Farrell who passed to Johnny Hurst. Johnny picked out Keith McGuinness with a good pass who headed for goal and calmly finished the ball to the back of the net. Keith then followed that goal with a fisted point, after Cillian Farrell found him in space with a good pass.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-07 Clonbullogue 1-02.

At the break Edenderry introduced Stephen Murphy in place of Adrian Forde. The first point of the second half went to The Reds when Cillian Farrell sent over a good point after Colm Cummins set him up with a powerful run up field from centre half back. Clonbullogue then scored a point, before it was immediately cancelled out when Basil Malone converted a free awarded for a foul on Cillian Farrell. Cillian then went on to grab the next three scores, the first two were brilliantly taken points, before he got a good slice of fortune when an attempt at a point dropped short and slipped through the ‘keepers hands into the back of the net. Basil Malone kicked another point from a free, which was awarded for a trip on Martin Keogh. Yet again Cillian Farrell scored another point, before Clonbullogue scored their fourth point. Edenderry then made a double substitution when Ciaran Cummins and Michael Bryan were introduced for Colin McNamara and Cillian Farrell respectively. Immediately after his introduction Michael Bryan scored a very good point. Then Edenderry made their final substitution when Daniel Ryan was brought in for Keith McGuinness. Edenderry were then awarded a penalty when Martin Keogh was dragged down in the square. Robbie Glennon stepped up, and made no mistake as he powered the ball past the Clonbullogue goalie. The goal was immediately followed up with a very good Martin Keogh point, after Michael Bryan found him with a good pass. The last Edenderry score came after a good interception and clearance from Ciaran Cummins in goals, the ball was then worked downfield to Robbie Glennon who scored a good point. The last score of the game went to Clonbullogue when they converted a free kick.

Edenderry had some good performances all over the field, but none were better than Cillian Farrell who finished with a tally of 1-7 from full forward. The Reds still have to welcome back some players to the panel, some from injury and some from their involvement with the St Mary’s school team. The Seniors next game in the league will be at home to our parish neighbours Ballyfore this Sunday 1st March at 12 noon.

Team: Colin McNamara; Joe Murphy, Sean Pender, Wayne Mooney; Colm Byrne, Colm Cummins, Johnny Hurst; Richie Dalton (0-1), Basil Malone (0-4); Terry Reilly, Martin Keogh (0-1); Robbie Glennon (1-1); Keith McGuinness (1-1), Cillian Farrell (1-7), Adrian Forde.

Substitutes: Stephen Murphy, Ciaran Cummins, Michael Bryan (0-1), Daniel Ryan.

Referee: Con Costello.