Seniors Defeat Raheen

November 8, 2018


A goal in the dying minutes from Martin Keogh earned Edenderry the two points from this tough encounter against Raheen in a miserable wet Geashill last Friday night.

Raheen opened the scoring with a point after a poor clearance from the Edenderry defence. Basil Malone soon levelled when he collected a long ball in the corner of the pitch, and he turned to send an excellent point over from a tight angle. Raheen went two points in front when they converted two frees in the space of two minutes. Cillian Farrell then pulled a point back, when he scored a free which was awarded for a foul on the lively Paddy Lynch, who was causing Raheen concern with his penetrating runs from the half-forward line. But the game was held up for a few minutes, as a ruckus developed among several players from both sides, which ended with the Raheen no. 12 and Stephen Murphy receiving their marching orders. When the game resumed, Edenderry were awarded a free when Robbie Glennon was fouled, and Basil Malone stepped up to send the resulting kick over the bar. Just before the break Raheen went a point in front when they converted a free, this was awarded when the referee harshly penalised Colm Cummins for handling on the ground, after he slipped in the wet conditions as he turned to go for the ball.

Halftime, Edenderry 0-03 Raheen 0-04.

At the start of the second half Robbie Glennon levelled the match, when he floated over a great point to make it four points apiece. But soon after that Raheen went back a point in front when they converted another free, before Edenderry were reduced to 13 men. The referee sent Adrian Mahon off for a second yellow card, for pushing a Raheen player in the back! Despite being a man down, Edenderry lifted themselves brilliantly, and went a point in front when they scored two points in a row, the first came from the left boot of Robbie Glennon, and the second came from a Basil Malone free which was awarded for a foul on Martin Keogh. But then disaster struck for The Reds, when an Edenderry player stood waiting for the ball in the middle of the field, and a Raheen man intercepted and passed to a forward who gave Colin McNamara no chance with an excellent finish to the back of the net. With the game coming to a close Edenderry threw everything at Raheen. Edenderry should have been awarded a penalty when a Raheen defender made a foot-block on Basil Malone as he was shooting for goal. But despite this decision going against them, Edenderry didn’t drop their heads, and a long ball into the Raheen goalmouth by Basil Malone broke to Martin Keogh who pulled on the ball to send it to the corner of the net for the winning score.

This was not a great performance from Edenderry, but it must be said that the wet conditions was a big leveller in a game like this. Plus the fact Edenderry were reduced to 13 men, along with one of the worst refereeing performances seen in quite a while didn’t really help matters. Edenderry did have some good performances from the likes of Adrian Murphy, Sean Pender, Paddy Lynch, Basil Malone and Robbie Glennon. The Senior footballer’s next game in the League will be at home to Erin Rovers on Wednesday 22nd April at 7pm.

Team: Colin McNamara; Johnny Blong, Adrian Murphy, Sean Pender; Stephen Murphy, Colm Cummins, Wayne Mooney; Adrian Mahon, Johnny Hurst; Colm Byrne, Basil Malone (0-3), Paddy Lynch; Martin Keogh (1-0), Cillian Farrell (0-1), Robbie Glennon (0-2).

Substitutes: Sean Mullaniff, Glen Dolan, Daniel Ryan, Adrian Bryan, Brendan McCabe, Kevin Guing.