Seniors get Championship off to winning start

November 8, 2018

Edenderry seniors recorded their first group stage win in 5 years with a four point victory over Tubber. The sides were level at half time and the game really could have gone either way but in the last 15 minutes Edenderry owned the ball and completely dominated. For years it has been the other way around when most of our games where lost in the last 15 minutes, most notably all three of last years games.

Tubber opened the scoring after 3 minutes when Offaly U21 star Bernard Allen showed his accuracy, curling a left footed shoot between the posts. Edenderry responded well and Martin Keogh leveled things before Derek Kelly added a second. Tubber took control of the game and half forward Michael Grennan added a brace of points before Mark Young once again leveled the sides. Ciaran McManus put Tubber back in front with a nice free but Edenderry’s free taker was also on song, Mark Young pointing from a free awarded for a foul on Martin Keogh. Sixteen year old Daniel Nolan came on for his senior debut for the injured Martin Keogh who had pulled up with a groin injury. The game was very close with both sides cancelling each other out. A Johnny Rooney point put Tubber back in the driving seat before Captain Basil Malone scored his first point of the game. Bernard Allen once again put Tubber in front but just as the half time whistle approached Mark Young pointed an excellent free to leave the sides level at half time

Half Time:
Edenderry 0-06 0-06 Tubber

Tubber started the second half very strongly and raced into a 3 point lead, a free from Bernard Allen and two points from Brian Kelly who was now operating at centre forward. Edenderry were finding scores hard to come by but soon responded when Robbie Glennon got his first point of the game and Mark Young left one point between the team when he scored another free. Tubber scored their final two scores when Bernard Allen once again found the target and Offaly stalwart Ciaran McManus added his second. With Edenderry trailing by three points with just over 10 minutes to go it was a real sense of de ja vu and the Edenderry management needed to change the tempo of the game. They did just that when they introduced Stuart Quinn, Sean Og Farrell and Adrian Mahon in place of Daniel Moloney, Basil Malone and Derek Kelly. Mark Young added another point from a placed ball before Robbie Glennon kicked over his second. Edenderry now had all the momentum and were dominating midfield. Stephen Guing and Richie Dalton were lording it at midfield and the delivery to the inside forward line was very good. Colm Byrne made a great run from the half back line and kicked the point that leveled the game. A finger tip save from Brian Quinlan kept Edenderry’s hopes of securing victory alive and when Sean Pender dispossed Bernard Allen just as he was about to shoot it looked like it could finally be the day the reds were waiting for. Some brilliant ball in from Stephen Guing and Richie Dalton lead to Sean Og Farrell scoring two close range points before Daniel Nolan kicked his first point in senior football with a great left footed strike. Edenderry veteran Johnny Hurst was introduced as a blood sub for wing back Colm Byrne. Edenderry were playing keep ball at this stage and Robbie Glennon’s work rate was there for all to see when he raced under the stand and blocked the Tubber defence from clearing the ball. The ball was put back in on the square once again and Mark Young finished the game off with his 6th point of the game.

As the final whistle was blown there was scenes on jubilation from the Edenderry players and the supporters who have remained loyal to the team through a bad spell. While it may have just been a first round win and although nobody will be getting carried away the relief to finally have the monkey off their back was plain for all to see. For some players it was their first ever win in an Edenderry jersey apart from relegation playoffs.

In goals, Brian Quinlan was very solid, making a huge save at a crucial time. David Hanlon who was also making his senior debut was excellent at corner back, Adrian Murphy was just Adrian Murphy. Sean Pender had his hands full with the lively Bernard Allen but Sean’s final 15 minutes was brilliant. It was at midfield Edenderry won the game. Both Stephen Guing and Richie Dalton were brilliant. Both men were very good in the air and there delivery was very good. It is probably fair to say they both gave their best performances in the red jersey. Basil Malone was excellent at centre forward and Stuart Cullen really came into the game. Robbie Glennons work rate was a shining example for all to see while Mark Young was deadily accurate in front of goals.

Edenderry will still have to improve and try cut out the silly mistakes for their next game against Walsh Island.

Brian Quinlan(VC), David Hanlon, Adrian Murphy, Sean Pender, Colm Byrne(0-1), Dan Moloney, Wayne Mooney, Stephen Guing, Richie Dalton, Stuart Cullen, Basil Malone(C)(0-1), Martin Keogh(0-1), Derek Kelly(0-1), Robbie Glennon(0-2), Mark Young(0-6)

Daniel Nolan(0-1) for Martin Keogh
Stuart Quinn for Dan Moloney
Sean Og Farrell(0-2) for Basil Malone
Adrian Mahon for Derek Kelly
Johnny Hurst for Colm Byrne