Seniors lose first round game

November 8, 2018

Edenderry seniors opened their campaign with a hugely disappointing defeat to Erin Rovers. Despite leading by one point at half time, Edenderry failed to hang on to their lead and seven second half points, five from free’s, saw Erin Rovers take the precious two points.

The opening period of the game was very tight and it was five minutes before the first score arrived. Thomas Spain pointed for Erin Rovers from a free but Edenderry hit back with points from Stuart Cullen and Ciaran Hurley. Padraig Carroll levelled matters when he scored for Erin Rovers but then Edenderry took control of the game and raced into a three point lead when Wayne Mooney and Basil Malone(2) pointed for the reds, all from play.

Edenderry were then dealt a massive blow when Derek Kelly was forced off due to an injury sustained in the opening minutes. Stuart Cullen then scored a brilliant point for Edenderry but Erin Rovers started to dominate possession and hit three unanswered points of their own. Alan Lynam pointed from a free, Geoffrey Cuskelly from play and corner back Kevin Lynam kicked a ’45. Edenderry were then awarded their first free in the opposition half on 29 minutes but unfortunately Ciaran Hurley was unable to convert leaving the half time score, Edenderry 0-6 0-5 Erin Rovers.

Erin Rovers started the second half the better and scored two points to put them ahead, one from play from Padraig Carroll and the other a free from Thomas Spain. Basil Malone, now playing at full forward, scored his third of the game and levelled the tie but Erin Rovers again hit back with two points, one of which was another free from Thomas Spain, his third of the game.

Trailing by two points Edenderry finally got going and took over possession. Basil Malone registered another two points with great assists from Johnny Hurst and Mark Young.
With just 2 minutes to go Mark Young put Edenderry ahead and it looked like the reds would get the two points but Erin Rovers were awarded 3 free’s in the additional four points with Ian McLoughlin scoring two and Kevin Lynam kicking a massive free from near the sideline.

There was huge disappointment at the final whistle as Edenderry failed to hold out for the win. All 10 of Edenderry’s scores came from play while 8 of Erin Rovers 12 came from placed balls.

Referee: Eddie Dunne

Brian Quinlan, Diarmaid Meleady, Sean Pender, Wayne Mooney(0-1), Daniel Nolan, Daniel Moloney, Stephen Guing, Richie Dalton, Derek Kelly, Colm Byrne, Basil Malone(0-5), David Hanlon, Johnny Hurst, Stuart Cullen(0-2), Ciaran Hurley(0-1)

Martin Keogh for Derek Kelly(inj)
Mark Young(0-1) for Dan Nolan
Adrian Mahon for Ciaran Hurley
Dan Nolan for David Hanlon