Seniors lose to Ballycumber

November 8, 2018

A combination of a terrible first half display and a second half impersonation of Martin Sludden by the referee ultimatlely cost Edenderry a second victory in the 2010 Senior Championship.

Edenderry were slow out of the traps and Ballycumber took full advantage as they raced into a 5 point lead with former Offaly footballers Colm Quinn & Rory Guinan scoring two points a piece. Mark Young got Edenderry on the scoreboard after 15 minutes with his pointed free but unfortunately for the reds that would be their only score of the first half as they wasted several chances. Ballycumber added a 6th just before half time and the half time scoreline read 0-6 to 0-1.

At half time Ciaran Hurley and John Mason were introduced to the team in place of Mark Young and Dan Moloney. Edenderry got off the mark first when Basil Malone sent over a good point but Ballycumber’s Rory Guinan responded with his 3rd point of the game. Edenderry then raised the tempo and Basil Malone got his second of the game before 3 great points from Minor star Ciaran Hurley left just one between them. Edenderry had all the momentum and a foul on Colm Byrne from the Ballycumber midfielder saw them reduced to 14 men. John Mason then fired Edenderry level before another Rory Guinan free put Ballycumber back in control. As always teams are wary that once a team had been reduced to 14 that there would be an attempt to even things up but a John Mason point once again tied up the teams before Offaly minor star Stuart Cullen fired the reds in front. Edenderry looked to build on their lead and a high ball played into the 14 for Basil Malone resulted in Basil been struck and fouled. A bizarre decision resulted in a throw ball somehow and Ballycumber cleared their lines and worked the ball up field to score a great point. Moments later the ball broke in midfield, as Richie Dalton went to pick it up, it was pulled on. Strangely enough a free was awarded against Richie for some unknown reason and Ballycumber sent the ball into the full forward line where they were awarded another dubious free, which Colm Quinn sent over with ease to seal victory deep in injury time.

Overall this game leaves a bitter taste. Ballycumber performed well and they worked very hard particularly in the first half but it is a hard pill to swallow for the Edenderry players and management to be beaten by what could only be described as a very very poor standard of refereeing.

Next up for the Seniors is Rhode next weekend.

Brian Quinlan, Dan Moloney, Sean Pender, Wayne Mooney, Dan Nolan, Derek Kelly, Wayne Mooney, Richie Datlon, Adrian Mahon, Stuart Cullen(0-1), Mark Young(0-1), Colm Byrne, Basil Malone(0-2), Martin Keogh, Robbie Glennon

Ciaran Hurley(0-3) for Mark Young
John Mason(0-2) for Dan Moloney
Cillian Farrell for Robbie Glennon