Seniors Lose to Ferbane

November 8, 2018


Last Saturday evening in O’Connor Park, Edenderry made a bad start to the Senior Football Championship when they were defeated by Ferbane by a point on a scoreline of 1-07 to 1-06.

The opening score of the game went to Ferbane, when one of their corner forwards pounced on an Edenderry mistake in defence, and then kicked a point. With Edenderry’s first attack of the game, they were awarded a penalty when Basil Malone was cynically pulled down in the penalty area by the Ferbane goalie. Seanie Moore stepped up and made no mistake, as he fired the ball to the back of the net with a well taken penalty. Edenderry were then forced to make an early change when Dan Moloney came on for the injured Johnny Hurst. Seanie Moore then sent over Edenderry’s first point of the game, when he converted a free which was awarded for a foul on Keith McGuinness. At that point Ferbane started to gain the upper hand, and went to score a goal and five points without reply in the remainder of the first half to go in at the break five points ahead.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-01 Ferbane 1-06.

A couple of minutes into the second half the Edenderry management introduced Mark Young for Johnny Blong, with Mark going half forward and Stephen Doyle going wing back. Edenderry’s only scorer in the first half, Seanie Moore, opened the scoring in the second half with a good free, awarded when a Ferbane player was blown for a throw ball. Edenderry then scored their first point from play with an excellent move up field when Richie Dalton played a good ball into Keith McGuinness, who gave a quick pass to Cillian Farrell, who sent over a very good point. Ferbane then scored their one and only point in the second half, when they sent over a great point from long range. Seanie Moore then added another point; this time from play after Stephen Murphy found him with a great pass. Martin Keogh was then brought into the action in place of Cillian Farrell, before Robbie Glennon scored an excellent point to reduce Ferbane’s lead to two points. The Ferbane lead was then down to the minimum when Seanie Moore kicked a huge free kick from outside the 45 metre line. Stuart Cullen was then introduced for Basil Malone. Edenderry owned the ball for the remainder of the game, but failed to register another score, as they dropped a lot of shots into the goalie’s arms, kicked some wides and they also had a great goal chance when the ball fell to Seanie Moore only a couple of yards out from the goal line, but the goalie advanced on him to make the save.

Edenderry will be bitterly disappointed with the result, as they had enough chances to win the game by four or five points. Edenderry had some good performances, mainly in the second half, from Stuart Quinn, Daniel Moloney, Wayne Mooney, Stephen Guing, Stephen Doyle and Basil Malone.

Team: Colin McCormack; Johnny Blong, Stuart Quinn, Wayne Mooney; Stephen Murphy, Stephen Guing, Johnny Hurst; Shane Connell, Richie Dalton; Stephen Doyle, Basil Malone, Robbie Glennon (0-1); Keith McGuinness, Cillian Farrell (0-1), Seanie Moore (1-4).

Substitutes: Daniel Moloney, Mark Young, Martin Keogh, Stuart Cullen.

Referee: Noel Cooney.