Seniors Lose To Tubber

November 8, 2018


Last Saturday evening Edenderry made the journey to the Offaly/Westmeath border to take on Tubber in the Football League. After an extremely tough game of football which saw two players from each side receiving red cards, Tubber emerged winners by a goal on a scoreline of 2-11 to 1-11.

Tubber were quickest off of the blocks when they went two points in front, both coming from frees, while they nearly had a third when they hit the post with another free. Seanie Moore opened Edenderry’s scoring when he converted a free, which Eddie Dunne awarded for a Tubber defender dragging down Robbie Glennon. Edenderry soon added another point when big full-forward Shane Connell won possession and turned to send over a magnificent point. Tubber then raced six points in front when they scored a goal and three points without reply. Seanie Moore stopped the rot for The Reds as he scored a brilliant point, before Shane Connell scored a goal for Edenderry to reduce Tubber’s lead to two points. Robbie Glennon then reduced that lead down to the minimum when he sent over a long range point from a tight angle. Tubber responded well with a point, before Edenderry levelled with two very good points from centre forward Seanie Moore. Shortly after drawing level, Edenderry’s concentration dropped as Tubber came down field to score their second goal, but Edenderry responded well with an excellent point from Stuart Cullen after some good work from Richie Dalton.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-07 Tubber 2-06.

At the break Edenderry made a switch with Brian Quinlan coming into the action in place of Colin McNamara. From the throw-in Tubber won possession and raced down field to kick a very good point. Seanie Moore then scored his fifth point of the game when he sent over a free awarded for a foul on Shane Connell. Tubber then stretched their lead out to five points, as they scored three points in a row, two from play and one free. Shane Forde was then introduced in place of Adrian Mahon, just before a row broke out amongst several players. When the situation quietened, Eddie Dunne awarded a red card each to a Tubber man, and to Edenderry’s Shane Connell. When the game resumed, the next score came from substitute Shane Forde as he sent over an excellent point. That was shortly followed by a pointed free from Stuart Cullen, before Robbie Glennon reduced Tubber’s lead to two points with a good score. For the second time in the game Eddie Dunne had no choice but to give two more players their marching orders, when Paddy Lynch and his marker were sent to the line for fighting. Colin McNamara was then introduced outfield for Edenderry when he came on in place of Mark Young. Tubber then sealed victory with a very good point in the dying moments to give them a victory by a goal.

Despite the fact that Edenderry lost this game, they will be happy with a lot of the performances of the younger players, and the valuable experience they gained from a game like this. Edenderry had some good performances from Johnny Blong, Colm Cummins, Richie Dalton, Seanie Moore, Stuart Cullen, Robbie Glennon and Shane Connell. Edenderry’s next game will be this weekend against St Rynagh’s.

Team: Colin McNamara; Johnny Blong, Colm Cummins, Wayne Mooney; Mark Young, Richie Dalton, Johnny Hurst; Adrian Mahon, Stephen Guing; Paddy Lynch, Seanie Moore (0-5), Stuart Cullen (0-2); Robbie Glennon (0-2), Shane Connell (1-1), Shane Kelly.

Substitutes: Brian Quinlan for Colin McNamara, Shane Forde (0-1) for Adrian Mahon, Colin McNamara for Mark Young.

Referee: Eddie Dunne.