Seniors miss out on semi final place

November 8, 2018

Edenderry seniors fell to Tullamore on Wednesday night and therefore will not qualify for the league semi finals.
The reds had a great start to the game leading 1-2 to no score but with two soft free’s and a bad goal conceded shortly afterwards, Tullamore were soon back in the game. A very poor second half display which yielded only two points sealed our seniors faith

Edenderry had got off to a flying start when Peter Manley sent over the first point of the game, quickly followed by a fine long distance point by Stephen Guing. Some great work on the wing by Mark Young, turning inside two defenders and fist passing it across goals to the oncoming Robbie Glennon who made no mistake with the finish. Two soft free’s for Tullamore got them back in the game before Stephen Guing added his second point again assisted by Mark Young. A quick ball into the Edenderry full back line lead to Adrian Murphy breaking the ball from the Tullamore full forwards hands, but unfortunately nobody cleaned up the break and Tullamore got in for a goal. Edenderry responded very well when Peter Manley set up Robbie Glennon who once again made no mistake with his finish, cooling slotting past the Tullamore goalie. Edenderry were forced into a change when Offaly senior Sean Pender limped off injured, Johnny Hurst replacing him. Tullamore registered another two points before Mark Young set up Basil Malone for his first score of the game and the last score of the first half

Half time score:
Edenderry 2-4 1-4 Tullamore

Sean Og Farrell was introduced at half time for the injured Dan Nolan. Tullamore opened the scoring in the second half claiming the first two scores, again from soft free’s. Martin Keogh got Edenderry’s first score of the second half with a good point, set up by half time substitute Sean Og Farrell. Tullamore midfield were soon dominating the game and Edenderry couldnt get a stranglehold on the game. Mark
Young added a point for the reds but that was to be their last score as Tullamore went on to register 7 points in the second half and in very similar fashion to last years championship match Edenderry just couldnt get the scores required. Edenderry brought on Shane Connell for the injured Adrian Mahon and John Mason for Peter Manley. Edenderry battled very hard, particularly in the first half but unfortunatly the majority of Tullamore’s scores came from free’s inside the 21 yard line.

Edenderry were once again best served by Brian Quinlan who had another solid game in goals, Robbie Glennon who never stopped making runs all game and Mark Young who set up the majority of Edenderry scores in the first half.

Team sheet:

Brian Quinlan, Stuart Quinn, Adrian Murphy, Sean Pender, Colm Byrne, Colin McNamara, Wayne Mooney, Stephen Guing(0-2), Adrian Mahon, Dan Nolan, Basil Malone(0-1), Martin Keogh(0-1), Mark Young(0-1), Peter Manley(0-1), Robbie Glennon(2-0)