Seniors Qualify For League Final

November 8, 2018


On Sunday evening in Mucklagh, Jack Sheedy’s charges qualified for the Division 2 Football League Final with a tough two point win over Doon on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-11.

Edenderry took the lead through a couple of early frees from Cillian Farrell and Seanie Moore, which were both awarded for fouls on Keith McGuinness. But Doon soon settled and opened their account with a brilliant point. This score was soon followed by a Doon goal, when they were awarded a penalty for a trip by an Edenderry defender, as a Doon player was bearing down on goals. Keith McGuinness then scored a point to leave just a point between the teams, after a good crossfield pass from Cillian Farrell was collected by Stephen Doyle, who offloaded to Keith McGuinness who sent the ball over the bar. Doon then went two points in front when they scored a point from a free. Doon then nearly scored a second goal, but Colin McCormack was very alert, as he made a fine save. Keith McGuinness then scored a good point for Edenderry, before an excellent move from Doon finished with a brilliant point, after they worked the ball the length of the field. Keith McGuinness then fisted a point, after some great fielding from Cillian Farrell further out the field. Doon scored the next point, before Edenderry got in for a good goal. Mark Young started the move when he sent a long ball to Robbie Glennon, who somehow managed to pass the ball to Keith McGuinness, while he was under pressure from two Doon defenders. Keith made no mistake as he sent the ball to the top corner of the net. Doon responded well with two points, one from a free and one from play to go back in front. Yet again it was Keith McGuinness who was on the scoresheet as he converted a free, which was awarded to Edenderry for a foul on Mark Young. Just before halftime, both teams swapped points, with Edenderry’s score coming from Keith McGuinness after a great pass from Cillian Farrell.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-07 Doon 1-07.

At halftime Derek Kelly came into the action for Johnny Blong, with Johnny Hurst going corner back, and Derek going wing-back. Seanie Moore opened the scoring in the second half, as he sent over a point from a free which he won himself. Stephen Murphy then scored a brilliant long range point, when he drove forward from his own half-back line. Stuart Cullen was then introduced for Mark Young. Stuart took his place at corner forward, and Seanie Moore then came out centre-forward. Doon then scored a point from a free, before Seanie Moore scored an excellent point after another good run from Stephen Murphy. Seanie then put up another Edenderry point, this time he converted a free awarded for a foul on Stuart Cullen. Doon pulled a point back, before Jack Sheedy and his selectors made two substitutions with Adrian Mahon coming on for the injured Shane Connell, and Paddy Lynch coming on for Stephen Doyle. Shortly after his introduction Paddy Lynch won possession, turned a Doon defender and passed to Seanie Moore, who had the vision to find Adrian Mahon, who passed to Cillian Farrell who sent over a fantastic point. Doon scored another point from a free, before Seanie Moore scored his fifth point of the game, when he converted a free which was awarded for a foul on Robbie Glennon. Stephen Guing then came on at midfield in place of Alan Doyle. The last score of the game went to Doon when they scored a point from a free to leave two points between the sides at the finish.

Edenderry had some excellent performances from Shane Connell, Alan Doyle, Cillian Farrell, Seanie Moore and Keith McGuinness, while Derek Kelly and Paddy Lynch played very well when introduced. Edenderry will now play Raheen in the final, after they defeated Tubber in the other semi-final. At time of writing the date, time and venue have not been fixed.

Team: Colin McCormack; Johnny Blong, Stuart Quinn, Wayne Mooney; Stephen Murphy (0-1), Richie Dalton, Johnny Hurst; Shane Connell, Alan Doyle; Cillian Farrell (0-2), Mark Young, Stephen Doyle; Seanie Moore (0-5), Robbie Glennon, Keith McGuinness (1-5).

Substitutes: Derek Kelly, Stuart Cullen, Adrian Mahon, Paddy Lynch, Stephen Guing.

Referee: Mick Coughlan.