Seniors win two in a row in League

November 8, 2018


Edenderry seniors played their first league game since April 8th and continued where they left off by defeating Tullamore on a scoreline of 3-7 to 1-9. Edenderry were short a number of players for various reasons and it was great to see Aaron O’Connell and Peter O’Neill making their senior debuts.

Edenderry started the best with the aid of a strong breeze and the opening two points came courtesy of captain for the night, Derek Kelly, after some great work from Martin Keogh. Tullamore responded with their opening point but some great play from David Farrelly and a great slip pass from Stuart Cullen put Martin Keogh clear on goal and Martin made no mistake with the shot putting the reds into a 1-2 to 0-1 lead.

Pat Moloney scored Edenderry’s third point after been put through by Colm Byrne and just seconds later Keith McGuinness pointed from a free after a foul on Stuart Cullen. Tullamore registered their second score of the game again Edenderry hit back with Derek Kelly once again driving forward, laying the ball of to Stuart Cullen who scored Edenderry’s second goal. Just before half time Ciaran Hurley pointed a free for edenderry to leave the half time score 2-5 to 0-2.

This was definitely a game of two halves as Tullamore came out far stronger in the second half with the aid of the strong wind. The blue’s were by far the better team for the first twenty to twenty five minutes of the second half scoring seven points. Edenderry were awarded a penalty which Stuart Cullen converted. Edenderry got two more points from Keith McGuinness & Basil Malone to extend their lead before a late goal from Tullamore narrowed the gap to four points and leaving the final score 3-7 to 1-9.

Edenderry played some great football in the first half and were well served in defence by Colm Byrne who made some great runs through out the game. At midfield, Derek Kelly who captained the side for the first time, was once again outstanding contributing two points and carring the ball very well. In the forwards Martin Keogh, Keith McGuinness and Pat Moloney worked tirelessly while Stuart Cullen was a constant threat.

Man of the Match: Derek Kelly

Referee: Eddie Dunne

Edenderry seniors kept up their good form in the league with an eight point win over Tubber on Saturday night. Despite missing a host of players Edenderry performed very well and got the all important two points.

Playing with the aid of a very strong breeze in the first half Edenderry made use of their advantage and with four minutes gone Colm Byrne registered the first score of the game when he pointed from 35 yards after some great work by Ciaran Hurley. Just two minutes later Edenderry scored again when Basil Malone sent over his first point of the afternoon. The reds were firmly in control and two more points, one a free from Ciaran Hurley and a great point from Martin Keogh stretched the reds lead to four points with twelve minutes gone.

Tubber soon hit back with two points of their own but in three minute spell points from Keith McGuinness and Ciaran Hurley(2) extended Edenderry’s lead to 0-7 0-2. Again Tubber came back with two more points but Keith McGuinness responded with Edenderry’s final score of the first half to leave the half time score 0-8 to 0-4.

It was a slow start to the second half with both sides battling for possession but the introduction of Derek Kelly & Dan Nolan was very important for the reds as both players played very well. After eight minutes Edenderry got the first score with Keith McGuinness once again pointed for the Edenderry. Just one minute later Basil Malone extended Edenderry lead to six points with a fine solo effort. Tubber certainly didnt lie down and within three minutes they scored three points to close the gap to three points.

With Tubber coming back strong the next score was always going to be important and fortunately for Edenderry it went their way. Aaron O’Connell hit a long range shot which looked to be going over but when it rebounded off the crossbar Stuart Cullen was first to react, fisting it over the bar. From the resulting kickout Basil Malone pointed for the reds to put five points between the sides.

With twenty minutes gone in the second half Keith McGuinness scored a free after a foul on Diarmaid Meleady and just one minute later they killed off the game when Derek Kelly made a solo run from the half line and shot to the back of the net to put Edenderry nine points ahead.
Tubber hit back with a point which was quickly cancelled out by a Stuart Cullen point. Tubber had the final say of the game with a point after twenty seven minutes but Edenderry helf out for a 1-14 to 0-9 win.

Overall Edenderry were value for their win and had some great performances from Colm Byrne, Basil Malone, Derek Kelly and Keith McGuinness. With three games remaining if Edenderry can maintain their current form they are well on course for a semi final appearance.

Man of the Match: Basil Malone

Referee: Brian Gavin

Brian Quinlan, Diarmiad Meleady, Johnny Hurst, Joe Murphy, Colm Byrne(0-1), Pat Moloney, Aaron O’Connell, Mark Young, Basil Malone(0-3), Stephen Abbott, Martin Keogh(0-1), Ciaran Hurley(0-3), Keith McGuinness(0-4), Stuart Cullen(0-2), Wayne Mooney.


Dan Nolan for Wayne Mooney
Derek Kelly(1-0) for Stephen Abbott
Stephen Abbott for Martin Keogh