SFL Div 2: Myshall 2-8 Clonmore 0-10

November 8, 2018

Clonmore played very well in the first half and used the wind to good effect to race into a four point lead through Con Murphy (2f), Darren McGrath and Pauric Lawlor before Myshall opened their account on 16 minutes. This was from a free by no 13, Donal Smithers, after Andrew Byrne had been black carded for a goal savng tackle. Niall Humphries was through on goal in the early minutes but the Referee blew for a free (which Con converted) rather than allow the advantage which could have yielded a goal.

Darren and Paddy Gahan kicked two more points for Clonmore but Smithers replied with two to leave the half-time score 0-6 to 0-3 to Clonmore. As well as losing Andrew to a black card, we also lost Kevin McCarney to injury in the tenth minute but substitues Bobby Rooney and Paul Hogan tore into the fray and were two of our best players over the hour.

Within minutes of the re-start, Myshall had turned the game on its head with two goals from Smithers and full-forward, Martin Clowry, to lead by 2-4 to 0-7 on 35 minutes. Playing with far more urgency and with the aid of the wind,  Myshall extended their lead to 6 points on 52 minutes – 2-8 to 0-8 . Clonmore battled all the way and launched a spirited fightback in the last ten minutes to reduce the margin to 4 with points from Niall, Pauric and David McCarney, but we couldn't get through for a goal which would have really brought us right back into it.

In spite of this being the first defeat in the League, the lads showed lots of fighting spirit and exciting football, especially in the first half when we perhaps should have been further ahead. As Myshall are our opponents in the First Round of the Championship at the end of July, we now know what to expect and hopefully can learn some lessons from tonight for the challenge that lies ahead in 3 months time.

The next game is at home to Railyard on Sunday, 9 May (7pm), followed by the re-arranged fixture versus St Andrews at home on Thursday, 14 May (8pm) and O'Hanrahans away on Sunday, 17 May. We finish with the Fighting Cocks at home on Sunday, 23 May.

Team: Paddy Byrne, Andrew Byrne, John Kelly, Willie Byrne, Kevin McCarney, Shane Murphy, Anthony Byrne, David Mulvany, Enda C McGrath (Hillview Tce), Paddy Gahan (0-1), Darren McGrath (0-2), Adam Byrne, Pauric Lawlor (0-2), Con Murphy (0-3,2,f), Niall Humphries (0-1). Subs: Bobby Rooney for Kevin (inj, 10 mins), Paul Hogan for Andrew (black card),  David McCarney (0-1) for Willie (40 mins), inj), Dale McNamara for Darren (50mins), Colin McGrath for Adam (55 mins).

Other Div 2 results:  St Andrew's 0-11 Kilbride 2-11, Fenagh 1-8 O'Hanrahans 3-17. In Div 1, Eire Og beat Rathvilly by 0-17 to 1-7 and Brendan Murphy suffered a broken collar bone. We send Brendan best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Photo: Paul Hogan was outstanding in the full back line against Myshall and got out first to every ball.