St Brigid's and Clonbullogue must meet again

November 8, 2018

St Brigids and Clonbullogue will have to meet again following their draw on Saturday eveing in O Connor Park.  This was a fine game of football between 2 teams who are both extremely strong defensively, but also have clinical attacking power too.  Many will feel that it should have been Clonbullogue’s day as they had chances to win it, but on the other hand most of the experts predicted that St Brigids would emerge winners of this game.  One thing is for sure that on balance of play I don’t think anyone was disappointed at full time when the sides finished level, and to be honest if we are going to be served up more of that again, we say bring on the replay.  Both sides showed on Saturday their real pride in wearing their club jersey and their never say die attitude when the going got tough.

St Brigids opened the scoring in the first minute with a fine point from midfielder Johnny Brickland, but Clonbullogue responded with 5 unanswered points, two from Lee Dempsey (frees)  one from Darren Quinn, and then two fine points from Mark Daly and Kevin Keenan to enjoy a 5 points to 1 lead after 14 minutes.  St Brigids didn’t panic however, and Ken Casey began to bridge the gap with a fine effort on 16 minutes.  Shay Hannon reduced the margin further 2 minutes later, and 2 converted frees from Ken Casey again brought the sides level just before the break, but Clonbullogue were to have the final say in the half and an inspitrational score from full back Anthony Crampton in injury time gave Clonbbullogue a one point advantage at half time 6 points to 5, and also sent the adrenalin pumping down the tunnel as they went to the dressing rooms at the break.

Clonbullogue came out in the second half, with now real ambitions of causing the upset and Greg Quinn and Kevin Keenan increased their lead to 3 points after only 3 minutes of the second half. The lead doubled 2 minutes later when Clonbullogue were awarded a penalty when Kevin Keenan was tripped inside the parallelogram, the same player got up and struck the penalty home to drive his team at full steam ahead to a 6 point lead, but not for long as a minute later, Ken Casey was also fouled in the Clonbullogue parallelogram, and he too got up and converted to reduce the gap to 3.  Shay Hannon added a point to reduce the margin to 2, but Greg Quinn restored the 3 point advantage in the 14th minute of the half with a fine effort. Ken Casey got it back to 2, and then captain Bobby Troy scored a brilliant point to leave just one between them with 11 minutes to go.  It looked at this stage that St Brigids would now get a foothold on the game and do enough to reach the final, but they couldn’t find the target.  Clonbullogue kept their discipline and organisation until 3 minutes from time when St Brigids star forward Ken Casey found the target to bring the sides level.  Both sides pushed on to try and get the winning score, but it was Clonbullogue who probably had the best 2 chances.  It wasn’t to be and both sides live to fight again another day.  This is a replay not to be missed. Offaly GAA congratulate both teams on their performance and spirit in which the game was played.  We also thank match referee Paul Jordan and his officials.  Replay will probably be next weekend, but this will be confirmed on Monday.

Tullamore Court Hotel Junior Football Quarter Final

Clara 3-17

Ballinagar 0-7

Before the Intermediate Semi Final, Clara and Ballingar met in the Tullamore Court Hotel Junior Football quarter Final, and Clara recorded a comprehensive win on a scoreline of 3-17 to 0-7.  This result was inevitable from the start as Clara shot the first 5 points ogf the game through Pa Smith, James Taylor, Marius Stones and Derek Coyne.  Ballinagar showed some fighting spirit and eplied with 3 points from Michael John Pierce and Aaron Dwane, but Clara scored a goal and 3 points before the break to lead 1-8 to 0-3 at half time.

Clara never looked back and kicked a fine 2-9 in the second half to win 3-17 to 0-7