St Brigids Junior C Football Champions

November 8, 2018

This was a highly entertaining game of football with both sides playing with high intensity.  St Brigids opened the scoring after 3 minutes through Enda Egan.  Clonbullogue replied with a point in the 11th minute before Enda added his second and a free from Derek Egan made the score 3-1 after 18 minutes.  Niall Mc Evoy added a superb point from distance in the 22nd minute and a free from Nigel Smith brought the sides level for the second time 5 minutes before the break.  An excellent run from Jody Kennedy finished with an excellent point from his left gave St Brigids a one point advantage at the break. 

On the restart St Brigids broke away and a fine run from Michael Mc Cabe who set up Leo Troy to send the ball flying into the roof of the Clonbullogue net doubled St Brigids lead.  Derek Egan added 2 more points, before Leo Troy found the Clonbullogue net for the second time with another fantastic goal.  Clonbullogue were on the attack and the ball landed in Laz Molloy’s hands on the goal line.  He spotted Leo unmarked in midfield and sent a fine 55 metre pass to him.  Leo caught the ball and ran all the way to the Clonbullogue 21 yard line before striking the ball to the bottom left hand corner of the net.  This is was one of the finest scores seen this year at all grades.  Unbelievably this was to be St Brigids last score, and for the remaining 18 minutes they turned attack into defence as Clonbullogue began their fightback.  A point from Darragh Hickey and two pointed frees from Niall Mc Evoy reduced the gap to 6 points, and with 4 minutes to go Clonbullogue were awarded a penalty which was well converted by Martin Feeney to reduce the gap to 3.  Niall Mc Evoy added another point to bring it back to 2, and Clonbullogue had another late chance when Niall McEvoy lobbed a free into the edge of the square, and Brian O Neill got a hand to it but saw his effort go wide of the target.  St Brigids hung on and deserved their victory. 

Offaly GAA compliment both teams on a highly entertaining final, Edenderry GAA grounds for organising so well and having the grounds in superb condition for the final, and also to match referee John O Reilly. The Cup was presented to St Brigids captain Derek Egan after the game by PRO Niall Murphy.  St Brigids paid a nice tribute to John Hannon after the game who has recovered from illness.