St Michael's win U21 Football Title

November 8, 2018

Tullamore Court Hotel U21 Football Final


St Michael’s                 1-11

St Manchan Gaels        2-6


St Michaels won their 8th Offaly U21 Football title following a hard earned two point victory over St Manchan Gaels in O’Connor Pk on Saturday March 26th 2011.


St Michael’s who lined out without the injured Anton Sullivan laid the foundation for their success in the first half, when with wind assistance they built up a 0-7 to 0-2 interval lead. 


Michael’s led by 0-4 to 0-1 after 23 minutes, with points coming from Garret Garry (2 frees), Christy Maguire and Donal Hickey, while St Manchan’s lone reply came from a Colin Daly free.  Robbie Leavy and Bernard Allen then swapped points before Cathal Nolan and Darren Garry (f) finished the first half scoring to leave it 0-7 to 0-2.


On the resumption Bernard Allen(f) and Ciaran Farrell pointed for the Ballycumber/Tubber side to narrow the gap to three points after 37 minutes.  However, the Rhode parish side hit back with pointed frees from Garry and McPadden to regain a five point lead.  The game sprung to life in the 49th minute when a good St Manchan’s move saw Keith Lawler blast to the Michael’s net. Three minutes later Michael’s hit back with a goal of their own Donal Hickey finished the ball to the net after Paul McPadden’s effort came back off the post.  But with sixty seconds Bernard Allen passed to substitute Aaron Daly and he beat Dean Morris in the St Michael’s goal to leave it 1-9 to 2-4 with seven minutes left.  Paul McPadden and Richie Dunne then swapped points before Bernard Allen narrowed the gap to the minimum as the game entered injury time.  As St Manchan’s launched a last gasp effort for an equaliser St Michael’s broke up field and substitute Anton Sullivan sealed victory with a point to earn his side the James Guinan Cup.



St Michaels: Darren Garry 0-4(f), Donal Hickey 1-1, Paul McPadden 0-2(0-1f),  Robbie Leavy 0-1, Cathal Nolan 0-1, Christy Maguire 0-1, Anton Sullivan 0-1

St Manahan Gaels: Bernard Allen 0-3(0-1f), Keith Lawler 1-0, Aaron Daly 1-0, Colin Daly 0-1(f), Ritchie Dunne 0-1, Ciaran Farrell 0-1,


St Michael’s: Dean Morris, James McPadden, Eoin Rigney, Jake Kavanagh, Christy Maguire, Garrett McNamee, Thomas Mooney, Cian Donohoe, Philip Foy, Carlos Flynn (capt), Robbie Leavy, Donal Hickey, Paul McPadden, Darren Garry, Cathal Nolan Subs: Willie Molloy for Leavy, Anton Sullivan for Nolan


St Manchan Gaels: John O’Brien, John Egan, Ritchie Dunne, Leigh Colgan, Eamonn McCabe, Chris McDonald, Ciaran Farrell, Colin Daly, Keith Lawler, Nigel Farrell, Danny Kelliher, Shane Kinahan, Sam Lawler, Bernard Allen, Gary Larkin.  Subs: Joe Kinahan for G Larkin, Aaron Daly for Kelliher


Ref: David Walsh (Gracefield)