Tullamore Court Hotel JFC ‘A’ Final: Clonmore Harps 1-10, Shamrocks 0-10

November 8, 2018

The win catapults Clonmore Harps to Intermediate Football and what this club has achieved over the past two years has been nothing short of phenomenal and they certainly deserve all the plaudits in the world.

Playing Junior B Football up to only two years ago, this club have finally put years of heartache behind them and all their efforts were duly rewarded when they lifted the Tommy Quinn Cup and what they have done for football in their area over the past twenty four months really shows that good things do come to those who wait.

Jimmy Foy was simply superb on Sunday and credited with a whopping 1-6 of his side’s 1-10 final tally just shows how good the centre forward was. Pulling all the strings from the off for Clonmore once he ran a march on the Shamrocks defence the Title really was only going one way.

Following a surprise win over a fancied Daingean side in the semi final, Clonmore went into this tie as favourites and rightly so and that tag was justified with them taking a 0-3 to 0-1 lead after only seven minutes of play.

The first half to be fair once Shamrocks found their feet was close enough and by the 12th minute they  found themselves ahead by one 0-4 to 0-3. After points were traded, Clonmore marched down the field and with a searing run from the middle of the park, Jimmy Foy tore through the heart of the Shamrocks defence to drive a cracking goal past Niall Darcy in the Shamrocks goal, to leave the half time scores reading 1-5 to 0-6.

The second half was certainly livelier to say the least. The hitting was getting a lot harder and with players throwing their bodies on the line for the cause of the jersey, this game was going to right down to the wire.

Clonmore, with scores from Jimmy Foy, Sean Marshall and Sean Foy, were suddenly 1-8 to 0-6 to the good nine minutes into the second half. 

But this game was far from over and it was only inevitable that a comeback was on the cards and with three scores in quick succession from Jimmy Conway, Packie Walsh and Paddy Guinan suddenly only two points separated the sides 1-8 to 0-9.

The game was certainly on a knife’s edge and even though they still were in front, Clonmore needed a score and finally with twenty three minutes on the clock some fourteen minutes after their last score up stepped Stephen Foy to settle the nerves.

Philip Foy fired over another score becoming the third of the Foy brothers in the half forward line to score and really the writing was on the wall. Shamrocks did try numerous high ball assaults on the Clonmore goal mouth in the dying minutes and even a free from Packie Walsh didn’t make a difference for the destination of the cup. The final scores reading 1-10 to 0-10.


The Scorers

Clonmore Harps: Jimmy Foy 1-6 (0-2 Frees), Philip Foy 0-1, Stephen Foy 0-1, Sean Marshall 0-1, Sean Foy 0-1 (’45).


Shamrocks: Packie Walsh 0-7 (0-6 Frees), Paddy Guinan 0-1, Jimmy Conway 0-1, Brian Tyrrell 0-1.


The Teams

Clonmore Harps: John Dunne; David Perdisatt, Michael Murphy, Paddy Clarke; Paddy Heavey, Sean Foy, Sean Marshall; Philip Foy, Jimmy Foy, Stephen Foy; Paddy Mooney, Wesley Slevin (Capt), Frank Heavey.

Subs: Paul McNamee for Frank Heavey (57 mins), Ciaran Ludlow for Paddy Mooney (inj) (40 mins).


Shamrocks: Niall Darcy; Ray Bryant, Darragh Minnock, Brian Thomas; Declan Conroy, Jimmy Conway, Darren Buckley; James Kavanagh, Ciaran Buckley; Paddy Guinan, Ger Keyes (Capt), Packie Walsh; Alan Foster, Trevor Darcy, Brian Tyrrell. Subs: Adrian Minnock for James Kavanagh (39 mins), Michael Kennaney for Ray Bryant (45 mins).


Referee: Noel Cooney (Erin Rovers).