U-21 C'ship Clonmore 1-12 Kildavin Clonegal 2-8

November 8, 2018

20 July 2011: U-21 C’ship Q/Final: Clonmore 1-12 Kildavin/Clonegal 2-8
In a very exciting game in Tullow on Wednesday, Clonmore played some scintillating football to gain a deserved victory over a strong K/C team and earn a place in the semi-final against MLR, currently fixed for Wed, 17 August, but may be changed.
K/C opened brightly and Mark Hennessy had to be at his best to save a point blank shot from Daryl Roberts in the first minute – Roberts did score the first point of the game shortly after but then Clonmore settled down and points from PJ Byrne, Mike Murray and Shane McGrath put them 0-3 to 0-2 up after ten miniutes. K/C were winning the early midfield battle mainly thanks to Pauric Hickey’s high fielding and it was Hickey who was on the end of an incisive move to score a fine goal to put K/C five points ahead 1-6 to 0-4 on 23 minutes. However, some devastating forward play from the Clonmore forwards and outstanding free taking by PJ Byrne, including a ’45’, reduced the arrears to a goal. Then, on the stroke of half-time great work by oustanding midfielder, Enda McGrath, set up Shane McGrath for ‘Shock’ to bury the ball in the bottom of the net to level the score at 1-6 apiece at HT.
The second half was a titanic struggle with some heavy hits being given and taken – resulting in the Referee playing eight minutes of injury time. Shane Murphy & Kevin McCarney in the centre of Clonmore’s defence were giving their men a torrid time and were driving forward at every opportunity. Enda McGrath was in great form at centre-field and ably assisted by Willie Byrne, they managed to reverse the earlier dominence of Hickey in this area. All six Clonmore forwards were in in flying form.
Clonmore went two points ahead soon after the break with points from Shane McGrath, Enda McGrath and a cracker from wide on the right wing from Niall Humphries. But K/C were in no mood to concede defeat and outstanding centre back, Conor Redmond, combined with stylish centre forward, Daryl Roberts, to rip open the Clonmore defence for a brilliant goal to put K/C 2-7 to 1-9 ahead on 41 mins. After going behind for the third time in the game, Clonmore responded in style and excellent points from Mike Murray and PJ Byrne (two more great frees) put them back in front by 1-12 to 2-7 by the 57th minute. Two points is a dangerous lead and when K/C’s lively forwards went hunting for a goal in the dying minutes, Clonmore’s backs had to withstand severe pressure. And the young Clonmore players rose to the challenge and put their bodies on the line.
In one last attack a K/C forward was just held up on the edge of the square and from the resulting 13m free Pauric Ryan went for a goal but his shot screamed over the crossbar for the final score of the game, to leave Clonmore ahead by a single point at the final whistle.
Team: Mark Hennessy, Gordon Hickey, Shane Murphy, Mark D Byrne, James Doyle, Kevin NcCarney, Paul Hogan, Enda McGrath (0-1), Willie Byrne, Mick Murray (0-2, f), PJ Byrne (0-6, 4f, 1’45’), Darren McGrath, Shane McGrath (1-2), Paddy Doyle, Niall Humphries (0-1). Sub: Dylan Bowes for Paddy Doyle, Mark A Byrne, Martin Doyle, Daragh Kelly, David Kelly.
The semi-final will be against MLR on Wednesday 17 August.On Monday 18 July, the Minors lost to Slaney Rangers by 1-10 to 3-8
Photo: Next-door neighbours PJ Byrne and Enda McGrath were outstanding in the U-21 Championship win over K/C.