U10 Hurlers Defeat Tullamore

November 8, 2018


Edenderry’s U10 hurlers travelled to O’Brien Park, Tullamore on Sunday morning last and they followed up their opening win against Brosna Gaels with another resounding win against the home team to make it two wins from two in this year’s U10 Hurling competition.

The Edenderry lads settled well into the game and with the aid of the wind they began to get on top during the first 10-minute spell of ground hurling. Despite the surface not being the best the Edenderry midfielders and the half forward line of Martin Keogh, Alex Cummins and Brian Nolan were winning all their battles and moving the ball quickly into the full forward line.
The opening score came after 5 minutes when Donie Groome fired a great shot to the net. This led to great spell for the reds and in particular Shane Cummins who grabbed the next 3 scores, helping himself to 1-2 before referee Noel Cooney gave the signal that it was full hurling for the last ten minutes of the half. Edenderry continued to dominate and grabbed the next goal after a move that started in the fullback line with Conor Dempsey who cleared the ball to midfield where Shane Cummins gathered the ball and played it quickly to Donie Groome and Donie duly tore through the Tullamore backline and buried the ball in the net.
Tullamore tried hard to get back into the game but the Edenderry backs stood strong with Eoin Dunne and Ciaran Nolan dominating the half back line. Shane Cummins then grabbed his 2nd goal of the game with another great strike to make it 4-2 to no score but Tullamore rallied with a goal to get the last score of the half to make it 1-0 to 4-2 at halftime.

The second half started with another 10 minutes of ground hurling and Tullamore put the Edenderry defence under a lot of pressure early on but with Oisin O’Grady in great form in the Edenderry goals and with Ryan O’Neill and Gary Gorman clearing their lines every time, they never let the blues through for the scores they needed. Edenderry then grabbed the vital next score when Donie Groome finished to the net for his third goal after good work from Jack Costello in the full forward line.
The score really settled Edenderry and they controlled the remainder of the game with Conor McCarthy in particular dominating the midfield area and getting the ball in quickly to the forward line. Edenderry made a number of substitutes with Daniel Lowry, Andrew Murray David Ryan and Liam Cox coming into the game. Shane Cummins continued his scoring exploits with 2 more goals and a point to cap off a great all round performance from the team captain. Edenderry made further substitutions with Adam McCraith and Eoin Brereton coming into the team for the last few minutes to get valuable experience at this level.
Edenderry continued to pressurise the Tullamore goal but there were no further scores before Noel Cooney whistled up to leave the final score 1-0 to 7-3.

This was another great result for this team and a great testament to the work the players have been putting in during training. With only 8 players on the panel overage for next year, it also shows the talent is there in depth. Their next outing is at home to Kilcormac/Killoughey on July 26th and although they will be a lot tougher proposition, these Edenderry lads will not fear anyone at this stage.

Team: Oisin O’Grady, Gary Gorman, Conor Dempsey, Ryan O’Neill, Eoin Dunne, Ciaran Nolan, Conor McCarthy, Shane Cummins, Martin Keogh, Alex Cummins, Brian Nolan, Donie Groome, Jack Costello

Subs (all used): Daniel Lowry, Liam Cox, Andrew Murray, David Ryan, Adam McCraith, Ben Lynch, Eoin Brereton

Referee: Noel Cooney.