U11 Hurling Blitz in Ballyboden

November 8, 2018

Edenderry’s young hurlers travelled to a very wet Templeogue last Sunday to take part in a three team U11 Blitz hosted by Ballyboden St. Enda’s. The team put in great performances on the day and were only narrowly beaten by a single point in a play off against the hosts after both sides finished the blitz with 3 victories and 1 defeat each. The luck wasn’t with the reds in the final but they can hold their heads high after giving a great display of hurling throughout the competition.

Game 1: Edenderry 1-03 Ballyboden 3-4

Edenderry got off to a great start with an early goal from Oisin O’Grady and after Ballyboden grabbed their 1st point, Shane Cummins landed a good point to maintain the 3-point lead. The home team upped their game and ran in a goal and 2 points before halftime to lead by 2.
Cian Farrell landed a fantastic point at the start of the 2nd half but Ballyboden struck back with two quick goals and a point to lead comfortably. Cian Farrell scored another point but the host were never in danger in this one and ran out 7 pt winners.

Game 2: Edenderry 5-00 Naomh Olaf 0-00

Cian Farrell took this game by the scruff of the neck early on with some great runs from midfield and he got the first goal of the game after a great run and shot. Cian followed that up with another great burst and delivery that was flicked to the net by Conor Dempsey for goal number two. Shane Cummins then got in on the act with a great shot for the third goal before half time.
The second half saw Shane Cummins grab another goal with a free from distance. Jack Foran was the next to get in for a goal to leave the final score 5 goals to no score.

Game 3: Edenderry 1-03 Ballyboden 0-02

With the confidence now high, the Edenderry lads came up against Ballyboden again and the first half was a very tight affair with both defences on top before Shane Cummins got the first score of the match with a good point. The highlight of the half was an outstanding point blank save from Oisin O’Grady to deny the hosts what seemed like a certain goal. Ballyboden though responded again and put on a lot of pressure and were rewarded with 2 points before the break to lead by one.
The reds came out fired up in the 2nd half and the outstanding Cian Farrell drew the teams level with a point before Shane Cummins got his second point to put Edenderry in front. The lads were now flying and Shane Cummins grabbed the crucial score with a great goal to put Edenderry 4 in front and after a great battle the reds held onto to the lead to run out deserved winners at the final whistle.

Game 4: Edenderry 2-03 Naomh Olaf 0-01

Needing to win this match to force a play off, Edenderry got the perfect start with excellent points from Shane Cummins and Donie Groome before the improving Naomh Olaf scored a great point to leave the minimum in it again. Ryan O’Neill then got the vital goal before the break to leave 4 points in it.
Shane Cummins got another point early in the second half and it was followed up by a brilliant Andrew Murray goal after a great run by Cian Farrell set him up to leave the final score 2-03 to 0-01.

Play Off / Final: Edenderry 0-02 Ballyboden 1-00

The final was played as a straight 10 minute match and what a cracking game it was with both teams giving everything from the throw in. The reds quickly got the upper hand in terms of possession and territory but a number of chances were missed before Cian Farrell landed a great point to give the visitors the lead. Edenderry continued to dominate but couldn’t add to their tally and they were then hit with a sucker punch with 3 minutes to go when Ballyboden scored a fantastic goal from their first real attack to give the home team a lead they hardly deserved. The Edenderry heads didn’t drop and they put the Ballyboden goal under huge pressure. First Shane Cummins had a great shot whistle by the post before he notched another point from a free to leave a point in it. Edenderry were now camped in the Ballyboden end of the pitch but a score wouldn’t come and the home team just held out to win on a scoreline of 1-00 to 0-02.

Although the players were disappointed not to win the final, they can be really proud of the hurling they played especially in difficult conditions with all the rain that fell on the day. All the players were excellent throughout and there were particularly good performances on the day from Oisin O’Grady in goals, Gary Gorman and Andrew Maloney in the backs. Cian Farrell was colossal around the middle of the field and Shane Cummins was the most dangerous forward on display.

Oisin O’Grady, Andrew Maloney, Gary Gorman, Alex Cummins, Ciaran Nolan, Ryan O’Neill, Cian Farrell, Donie Groome, Martin Keogh, Briain Nolan, Shane Cummins, Conor Dempsey, Andrew Murray, Jack Foran, Conor McCarthy

A special word of thanks to the Ballyboden St. Enda’s club for their fantastic hospitality on the day.