U14's Earn Final Spot

November 8, 2018


Last Thursday evening Edenderry defeated Kilcormac/Killoughey in the semi-final of the Under 14 Football Championship in a tough game of football to advance to the final against Ferbane/Belmont.

In a very low scoring first half Kilcormac/Killoughey were first on the board with a good point which went over the bar after deflecting off the post. But with Edenderry’s first attack of the game they had the ball in the net, when Aaron McDonnell played a good pass to Alex Kenny, who hit a shot over the ‘keepers head into the net. Kilcormac/Killoughey soon levelled with two points, one from play and one from a free. Edenderry could have been behind only for a good save from goalkeeper Cain Brereton, and from the counter attack Craig Monaghan gave a brilliant pass to Adam Mahon, who sent over a lovely point to give Edenderry a one point lead at halftime.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-01 Kilcormac/Killoughey 0-03.

Edenderry made a very bright start to the second half, when they scored an excellent point from the lively Mikey Clear. Shortly after this score Edenderry were awarded a penalty, which was given for a foul on Oran Lawton. From the resulting spot-kick, the stand-in Kilcormac/Killoughey goalie made a fine save from Mikey Clear. Edenderry won possession from the Kilcormac/Killoughey clearance, and worked the ball into the Jamie Dolan who hit the crossbar with a good shot. Kilcormac/Killoughey then scored their opening point in the second half with a good shot from a free. Edenderry then made a substitution with Leslie Nolan coming into the action in place of Ciaran Farrell. Edenderry had the ball in the Kilcormac/Killoughey net for a second time when Oran Lawton scored a similar goal to his teams first, as he sent a shot over the ‘keepers head into the net. Kilcormac/Killoughey were then awarded a penalty, but luckily for Edenderry the resulting kick was sent high and wide. Kilcormac/Killoughey kicked a point from a free, before Oran Lawton scored his second goal, when he was quickest to a rebound after the Kilcormac/Killoughey goalie made a very good save from an Adam Mahon shot. Not for the first time, Cain Brereton made a fine save in the Edenderry goals, before Adam Mahon scored his second point of the game after good work out the field from Oran Lawton and Mikey Clear. The last score of the game went to Mikey Clear who kicked a good point, after substitute Leslie Nolan sold a great dummy to a Kilcormac/Killoughey defender and passed to Mikey.

Edenderry had some good performances from Cain Brereton, David Hughes, Karl Murphy, Ross Mangan, Mikey Clear and Adam Mahon. Edenderry will play Ferbane/Belmont in the under 14 final this Saturday 19th September in O’Connor Park at 1 o’clock. All support appreciated.

Team: Cain Brereton; Mikey McNeilis, Matthew O’Grady, David Hughes; Damien Sadowski, Craig Monaghan, Karl Murphy; Aaron McDonnell, Ross Mangan; Mikey Clear (0-2), Oran Lawton (2-0), Adam Mahon (0-2); Jamie Dolan, Ciaran Farrell, Alex Kenny (1-0).

Substitutes: Leslie Nolan, Stephen Connolly, Bobby Walsh, Stephen Lennon, Kevin Beatty, Ciaran Kelliher, Mark Abbott.

Referee: Pauric Pearse.