U16's Draw with Moorefield

November 8, 2018


In the second underage challenge game played at Edenderry last Sunday, Edenderry made a brilliant second half comeback to snatch a draw against Moorefield.

The Reds made a blistering start to the game, scoring a goal and two points early in the game. The opening score was a goal right out of the top drawer, as Daniel Nolan cut through the Moorefield defence and fired an unstoppable shot to the top corner of the net. Sean Doyle then hit two points, the first coming from an acute angle, and the second after good combined play between himself and Daniel Nolan. Edenderry then seemed to fall asleep, as Moorefield scored a goal and six points without reply, with two of the six points nearly being goals only for fine fingertip saves from Shane Hayes. Peter O’Neill then reduced Moorefield’s lead to three points when he converted a free which was awarded for a late tackle on Sean Moriarty. Moorefield then scored two points, before Sean Doyle scored his third point of the game just before the break.

Halftime, Edenderry 1-04 Moorefield 1-08.

At the break Peter Mahon was introduced into the action in place of John McCormack. Moorefield scored the first point of the second half, but Sean Doyle scored another point after great approach play by cousins Peter O’Neill and Aaron O’Connell. Edenderry then scored another point; this time from a free which was awarded for a defender lying on the ball, which Peter O’Neill easily converted. Moorefield then extended their lead to five points with two good scores, before Edenderry made a double substitution with Eoghan Kelliher and Stephen Dillon coming on for Stephen Coffey and Cian Lawton. Shane Hayes then came to Edenderry’s rescue as he pulled off a great save from a Moorefield forward. Shortly after that save, Edenderry had Shane Steel to thank as he made a good goal line clearance. Moorefield then scored a good point, before Aaron O’Connell kicked his first score of the game, after a good pass from Peter O’Neill. Shane Hayes made another fine save in the Edenderry goals as he denied Moorefield yet again. The lads from Newbridge then kicked their last two points of the game, before Edenderry kicked into life in the last five minutes. Sean Doyle started the comeback when he beat two defenders, and hit a low hard shot past the Moorefield goalie for a great goal. Shortly after that Edenderry had the ball in the net again, Daniel Nolan won possession in the middle of the field and played a good pass to Sean Doyle, who hand passed to Aaron O’Connell who coolly slotted the ball under the on-rushing Moorefield goalie. With the last play of the game Stephen Dillon won possession and kicked a great point to level the game just on the final whistle.

Edenderry will be pleased with their start to the game, and the fight they showed to get a draw in the end. But they will be concerned that they allowed Moorefield build up such a big lead in the middle of the game. Edenderry had some good performances from Shane Hayes, Shane Steel, Declan Fitzpatrick, Daniel Nolan, Sean Doyle, Aaron O’Connell and Peter O’Neill. The club would like to thank John Reilly who refereed both the under 14 and under 16 games.

Team: Shane Hayes; Jason Farrell, Shane Cronin, Declan Fitzpatrick; Shane Steel, Gary Blong, Sean Moriarty; Daniel Nolan (1-0), Andrew Forde; Aaron O’Connell (1-1), Sean Doyle (1-4), Peter O’Neill (0-2); John McCormack, Cian Lawton, Stephen Coffey.

Substitutes: Peter Mahon, Stephen Dillon (0-1), Eoghan Kelliher.

Referee: John Reilly.