U21s outclassed by Galway in All-Ireland final

November 8, 2018

11 Sep 2011 |


A nightmare conclusion to the opening half as good as ended Dublin hopes of capturing a first All-Ireland U21HC in last night’s Bord Gáis Energy decider at Semple Stadium, Thurles.

Although not playing great Dublin were in contact with the half-time break approaching before the Tribesmen clinically despatched two goals in the concluding three minutes of the first half to firmly put themselves in the driving seat.

The was to be no heroic comeback by the Dubs in the second period as they continued to struggle to unlock the Galway defence and even secure enough possession to put together sustained period of pressure against a very talented side.

In the 28th minute David Burke unselfishly placed one of Galway’s many outstanding performers on the night, David Glennon, who fired to the net.

Before the break it got worse of Dublin when James Regan used his pace to accelerate through on goal and give keeper Ger McManus no chance for Galway to enter the break eight points to the good, 3-6 to 1-4.

The half had started well for the Dubs when Thomas Connolly showed good opportunism in the third minute to raise a green flag after Kevin O’Loughlin’s angled point effort had cannoned back off the crossbar.

Three minutes later O’Loughlin converted a superb free from halfway to push Dublin 1-1 to 0-2 clear.

That was as good as it got as Galway benefitted from the first of few suspect decisions when ref Tony O’Carroll awarded a penalty to the influential Barry Daly, despite fact the Galway forward looked to be going to ground prior to any contact with goalkeeper Ger McManus. Tadhg Haran drove the penalty to the net and Galway began to push on and cause greater problems for the Dublin defence.

Dublin briefly rallied in the second half with two points from sub Robbie Mahon but the Dubs needed his second to find the net but he was brilliantly denied by a full length save from Jamie Ryan in the Galway goal.

SCORERS – Galway: T Haran 1-3 (1-0 pen), J Regan, D Glennon 1-2 each, N Burke (0-2f), D Burke (0-2f) 0-3 each, C Cooney 0-1.  Dublin: T Connolly 1-2 (0-2f), K O’Loughlin 0-5 (0-5f), R Mahon 0-2, N McMorrow 0-1.
GALWAY – J Ryan; D Connolly, N Donoghue, G O’Halloran; J Grealish, P Gordan, R Foy; J Coen, D Burke; C Cooney, N Burke, T Haran; J Regan, B Daly, D Glennon. Subs: R Burke for Gordan (18), B Burke for Haran (41), D Fox for Cooney (54), N Quinn for N Burke (56), D Cooney for D Burke (inj 61).
DUBLIN – G McManus; B O’Carroll, D Kelly, J Doughan; D Curran, L Rushe, M Quilty; C Gough, D Sutcliffe; D Plunkett, M Schutte, T Connolly; K O’Loughlin, N McMorrow, E Dillon. Subs: F Clabby for Kelly (ht), S McGrath for Schutte (ht), R Mahon for O’Loughlin (40), B Quinn for Connolly (57).
REF: T Carroll (Offaly).