Under 10's Defeat Kinnegad

November 8, 2018


Edenderry under 10 footballers travelled to Kinnegad last Friday evening to play their first match of 2009. After an excellent performance from everyone in a red shirt, Edenderry ran out comfortable winners on a scoreline of 8-07 to 3-00.

Edenderry made a great start to the game when they scored two early goals. The first goal was scored by Oisin O’Grady, who collected a good pass from Ryan O’Neill and then blasted the ball past the Kinnegad goalie. The second goal came from Shane Cummins who gave the goalie no chance as he drove the ball into the roof of the net. Edenderry then scored two points from Ciaran Breen and Shane Cummins, before Gary Farrell scored his side’s third goal when he won possession from a Cian Farrell 45 metre free, and sent the ball to the back of the net. Edenderry then made a change with Oisin O’Grady going into goals, and Donie Groome coming out-field. Following this change, The Reds grabbed two more scores before the break with Gary Farrell and Donie Groome scoring a point apiece.

Halftime, Edenderry 3-04 Kinnegad 0-00.

After the break Edenderry picked up where the left off in the first half, as full forward Ryan O’Neill scored a goal and a point. Then Kinnegad started to gain some good possession in the Edenderry half, and scored three good goals in the space of about two minutes to reduce Edenderry’s lead to eight points. Edenderry then introduced Conor Maher, Sean Maher, Cathal Farrell and Ryan Glynn into the action. Each of these players made a good impact when introduced as all four had an involvement in the next four Edenderry scores. First off Cathal Farrell won possession at corner forward and beat two players and passed to Gary Gorman who buried to the back of the net from an almost impossible angle. Edenderry then scored another goal, this time Sean Maher won the ball and coolly finished past the Kinnegad goalkeeper. Sean’s twin brother Conor then followed that score with a brilliant point. Gary Gorman then scored his second goal since his switch to full forward, after Ryan Glynn played him through with a great pass. Cian Farrell then sent a great free over the bar from the ground to stretch Edenderry’s lead further. Despite seeing very little of the ball in the Edenderry goals, Oisin O’Grady was still very alert as he made a fantastic save to deny Kinnegad a goal. Conor Maher was unfortunate not to score a point, as his great shot from distance rebounded off the post. Then from Edenderry’s last attack of the game Ryan Glynn won possession and beat a couple of Kinnegad defenders, and then hit an unstoppable shot past the goalie for a great score.

Overall this was a great performance from all 19 Edenderry players, but those who stood out were Oisin O’Grady, Gary Gorman, Eoin Dunne, Gary Farrell, Shane Cummins and Cian Farrell. Edenderry would like to thank Kinnegad for the game, and we would also like to thank David Cummins who stepped in at the last minute to referee the game.

Team: Donie Groome (0-1); Ciaran Nolan, Gary Gorman (2-0), Seanie Coffey; Aaron Mangan, Eoin Dunne, Daniel McDonnell; Jack Brady, Gary Farrell (1-1); Shane Cummins (1-1), Cian Farrell (0-1), Oisin O’Grady (1-0); Conor Dempsey, Ryan O’Neill (1-1), Ciaran Breen (0-1).

Substitutes: Ryan Glynn (1-0), Conor Maher (0-1), Sean Maher (1-0), Cathal Farrell.

Referee: David Cummins.