Under-16's Draw In West Cork Final

November 7, 2018

Our Under-16’s got a creditable draw in Durrus today against Muintir Bhaire, on a scoreline of 4-09 to 4-09.

Urhan took the field on a brigthening afternoon with the aid of a light breeze, and made the better start. Sean O’ Sullivan pointed from play in the third minute and, after Muintir Bhaire leveled it up, Philip O’ Shea scored a beautiful individual goal after a mazy run past three Durrus backs. After nine minutes it was Urhan 1-1 to 0-1 to the good.

Muintir Bhaire pointed again only for Declan O’ Neill to score a fine point as the scores came thick and fast. A Muintir Bhaire goal after hesitant Urhan defending in the twelfth minute had the teams level. A minute later Sean O’ Sullivan pointed. A minute later again it was Conor Lowney’s turn. A minute after that, Durrus registered with a free. For all Urhan’s impressive dominance at centre-field they only led by a point with twenty gone – 1-04 to 1-03 – and had developed a habit of conceding immediately after scoring.

A purple patch was to follow, though. Sean O’ Sullivan pointed again on twenty-one minutes. Philip Shea scored his second goal on twenty-four, the impressive Sean O’ Sullivan pointed from play after twenty-five, and notched a free on twenty-seven, and at half-time Urhan had stretched into a 2-07 to 1-03 lead.

Durrus came on the attack immediately upon the restart, winning three frees and converting two of them. When Sean O’ Sullivan pointed on thirty-eight minutes, Urhan looked to have settled. However, a head injury to influential centrefielder Conor Lowney was to alter the balance in lár na páirce, and Muintor Bhaire began to assert themselves.

Under pressure, Urhan conceded a forty-second minute penalty which Durrus converted, and the lead was down to three. Up stepped Philip O’ Shea to break away and complete his hat-trick. Undaunted, Durrus came back with a free on the three-quarter mark. Sea O’ Sullivan pointed on the breakaway to leave it 3-09 to 2-06.

Durrus worked a short ’45 to point again with nine to go. Three minutes later, Urhan went for goal with the point on, missed, and conceded an incredible thunderbolt goal on the break. The lead was down to two.

Five minutes of last-ditch Urhan defending held the lead at two, before the home side pointed a free to bring it down to the minimum. As the pressure on them continued unabated, Urhan won a valuable kick-out in added time, broke with speed and accuracy, and goaled through Sean O’ Sullivan. 4-09 to 3-08.

Durrus pointed immediately, and as the referee played the alotted injury time, they launched one last attack. Inevitably, and in the spirit of the this wide-open game, they goaled. 4-09 apiece, and the ref blew immediately.

Both teams, unquestionably, deserved another day.

Photos to follow.

Team: Paddy Sheehan; Anthony O’ Shea, Kevin Elphick; Cillian O’ Shea, Andrew O’ Neill, Chris O’ Shea; Conor Lowney; Declan O’ Neill, Sean O’ Sullivan, Kevin Hartnett; Kevin Hanley, Philip O’ Shea.

Subs: Dónal Óg Harrington for Chris O’ Shea, Danny O’ Neill for Kevin Hartnett.