Under 21 Hurling Championship

November 8, 2018

Nh Olaf 3-11     St Johns 4-08

In an thrilling replayed under 21 championship game Olafs drew with Johns after extra time . The game was played under lights on Saturday night on Thomas Davis all weather pitch.

Johns got away to a great start scoring a goal and a point in the first few minutes. But Olafs settled and came thundering back with a goal from Declan O Dwyer. Olafs went into the lead before Johns got a soft goal. But David Lynch set up Deco again and he rammed home his second goal just before half time to put us up by two points going into the break. Like the first game we took over in the second half and with young David Lynch  leading the Johns defence a merry dance and points from Kinsella and Lynch put us ahead by two points going into the last few minutes. Then a long ball from Deco seemed to go all the way to the net with the Johns goalie being put under pressure from Chris Fennell. Olafs had a super long range point from Johnny McGrath to put us six points ahead with time almost up. Olafs were in complete control at this stage with Fergal Martin, Gavin Stapleton and Colin Kyne Delaney completely dominating the Johns forward line. Johns looked a beaten side but the twist in the tail came after the game was held up for a short time while the ref sorted out a bit of hand bag stuff. After the game got going again we were still six points ahead, and with over six minutes gone in overtime Johns got a goal. With nine minutes of extra time gone and the Olafs supporters screaming for the final whistle Johns got the eqaliser. As soon as the ball hit the net the ref blew for full time. Extra time was played and although both teams were out on their feet they produced some great hurling. In the first half of extra time Johns again went ahead by two points but Olafs hit back before half time with points from Niall Gallagher and Donal Kinsella. Johns pulled away again in the second period of extra time but from somewhere Olafs dug deep and a point from Deco and the last gasp point from a free from Donal from a very acute angle gave us the draw we richly deserved. It was a great game of hurling and both clubs should be very proud of their teams. It was another game which slipped from our grasp because of strange decisions.