Under 21's Beaten By St Michael's

November 8, 2018

St Patrick’s…….1-05
St Michael’s……3-10

Edenderry parish side, St Patrick’s were comprehensively beaten, by a sharper, fitter and better prepared St Michael’s team on Friday night in a well prepared Rhode.

St Michael’s made a perfect start to this game when a slip up in the St Patrick’s defence allowed a Michael’s forward a run at goals, and he coolly placed the ball under the advancing Colin McCormack to put his side a goal in front. St Patrick’s soon got themselves on the score-sheet when Mark Young sent the ball over the bar from a free which was awarded for a St Michael’s defender over-carrying. St Patrick’s had Colin McCormack on hand to make a great save to deny St Michael’s another goal, but as the St Patricks’s defence tried to work the ball clear of danger, they lost possession and then gave away a free which St Michael’s converted. St Michael’s nearly followed up that point up with a goal, but again Colin McCormack saved his team with another fine stop. At the other end big full forward Brian Quinlan kicked a good point. This was soon cancelled out when St Michael’s kicked a point from play. St Patrick’s scored two points in a row, the first came from the lively Stuart Cullen when he hit a powerful shot which just went over the bar, and the second came from Mark Young who converted his second free, after it was awarded for a late tackle on David Brady. David Brady was involved again, this time in his own half of the field, when he made good block to prevent a St Michael’s score. St Michael’s finished the half strongly, and scored a goal and two points without response from St Patrick’s to lead by two clear goals at the break.

Halftime, St Patrick’s 0-04 St Michael’s 2-04.

St Patrick’s made a good start to the second half when referee Eddie Dunne awarded them a penalty for a foul on Colm Byrne. Seanie Moore stepped up and sent the St Michael’s ‘keeper the wrong way with an excellent penalty. But unfortunately for St Patrick’s that score was soon cancelled out, when Ken Casey scored a goal for St Michael’s which will not be bettered in the County this year at any grade, as he sent an unstoppable shot to the top corner of the net. St Michael’s then scored a fisted point, before Stuart Cullen scored his second point of the game when he kicked an excellent score. But that proved to be St Patrick’s last score of the game, as St Michael’s dominated the remainder of the game and scored five points, one from a free and four from play to run out convincing winners.

Team: Colin McCormack; Paul Hanlon, Daniel Moloney, Sean Pender; Conor O’Donoghue, David Brady, Diarmuid Meleady; Stephen Guing, Seanie Moore (1-0); Paddy Lynch, Mark Young (0-2), Colm Byrne; Stuart Cullen (0-2), Brian Quinlan (0-1), Ger Dunne.

Referee: Eddie Dunne.