Under age hurling

November 8, 2018

U12 Hurlers

The U12 hurlers lost out to Skerries Harp 3-0 to 1-0 in the U12 Section 4 cup final held at St Bridget’s ground in Blanchardstown the weekend before last. Both Olaf’s and Skerries came to the final undefeated so it was always going to be a tough game for both teams.
The game was played in very wet and windy conditions on a very narrow pitch which meant neither team could find any space in the opening minutes. It was Skerries who started the better with their big midfielder causing Olaf’s a lot of problems. Olaf’s spent most of the opening 10 minutes in defence and when the ball did get forward the narrow pitch meant Paddy Berry and Oisin McMullen were closed down quickly. Skerries took the lead half way through the 1st half when a free from the half backs bounced around the Olaf’s goal and with the defence unable to clear the Skerries number 9 knocked it home. Skerries had another chance soon after but Mark Doyle, who was excellent in goal, kept them out. With 5 minutes remaining of the 1st half Olaf’s got a free right in front of goal just 5 yards out and Paddy Berry went for goal. His effort was blocked by an onrushing Skerries defender but the ref ordered it retaken and Paddy smashed the 2nd effort into the roof of the net to draw the sides level. But just a minute later Skerries were back in front when a long ball dropped into the Olaf’s goalmouth and the Skerries full forward, challenging Mark Doyle in the Olaf’s goal, managed to get a hurl to the sliothar and knock it home.
The second half was similar to the 1st with little flowing hurling from either team, Olaf’s had two long range frees from Oisin McMullen which skimmed past the posts and when they were awarded another close range free, up stepped Paddy Berry again to go for the equaliser but his goal bound shot was bravely blocked and cleared by Skerries. Within 5 minutes Skerries extended their lead as a well taken line ball broke over the Olaf’s defence and the number 10 knocked it past Mark Doyle to put the Skerries lads 3-0 to 1-0 ahead.
Olaf’s continued to battle but it wasn’t to be their day. Afterwards Olaf’s captain collected the runners up medals with great pride on behalf of a team who have progressed so much this season. The two sides will meet again in September in the league in what should prove to be another tight match for two very evenly matched sides.

Congratulations to all the U12 panel on their great cup run and to Skerries on their cup success