Underage Noticeboard

November 7, 2018

Our U14’s beat Sligo 10 – 5 in a very entertaining encounter at Corinthian Park on Sunday in surprisingly ideal conditions.

In just our second game of the season it was a great opportunity for all members of our squad to show their skills, and this they did with some great displays of rucking, tackling and support play.

Our first score came in the first half from the accurate boot of Ruadhan O’Bearra who slotted over a three pointer from just outside the 22 after an infringement by Sligo at the ruck. As you might expect they came straight back at Corinthians and there were some nerve racking moments when only superb tackling kept the host’s line intact, with full back Darran Hennesy in particular denying the visitors what looked like certain scores. The half time score was a tight 3 – 0 in favour of the home side and with the second period shaping up to be a hard fought contest the fans were not disappointed. The forwards battled it out with great vigour and commitment, with some lovely ball handling from both sides. The only try of the match came from Corinthian’s Darragh Moylan after a move that wouldn’t be out of place in the Sports Ground. Having won a scrum out side the Sligo 22 the forwards delivered a very solid platform, from which Kevin Finneran fed Jamie Kelly out wide. Jamie switched direction of play down the blind side and in a perfect execution of a two on one overlap drew his man and fed Darragh who sped around the oncoming cover and had the presence of mind to get in as near as he could under the posts for the touch down. Ruadhan O’Bearra added the points from the conversion which left the score board reading 10 – 0.

However Sligo are never ones to give up and for the remainder of the half pressurised Corinthians and were eventually rewarded with a try in the corner, which wasn’t converted. From there the game played out with Sligo in attack and the home side defending heroically to hold the score at the final whistle to 10 – 5.

Best wishes to Tom Huxford who had to leave the field due to injury, thankfully nothing serious, and also thanks to Paul Miller who refereed at short notice.