November 7, 2018

On Saturday the adult teams played with both having home fixtures. The premier team welcomed Buttevant to the Glebe in the FAI junior cup 2nd round.After a slow start it was Buttevant who drew first blood on the twentieth minute when a breaking ball from a corner was volleyed to the net from close range.Coachford upped their game at this stage and were deservedly level when Michael o ‘Sullivan got a near post glancing header on a free kick from the left.
However they fell victim to some poor defending 2 minutes later and paid the price when Buttevant broke raather easily and from 12 yds slid the ball to the net to take the lead for the second time, a lead they held to half time. On the turnaround Coachford upped the intensity from the start and were in control of possession with not many chances coming their way until midway through the half a through ball put into the box for Micheal O’Sullivan to run onto was gathered and fumbled by the Buttevant keeper to allow Micheal to slide it home to level the match. Five minutes later the game was turned on its head when in the same incident Buttevant had two players red carded. Now enjoying even more possesion Coachford eventually went ahead with ten minutes remaining from the penalty spot converted by Liam Eager. The goal of the day however arrived on the stroke of full time when Mark Long struck a superb volley at the back post to the bottom right corner of the net to leave the full time score coachford 4 —- 0 Buttevant.
The second team playing in Carraigadrohid against Los Zarcos were less fortunate however and finshed on the wrong side of a 3 – 1 scoreline.
On Sunday it was the turn of the schoolboy teams with the U14’S away to Buttevant in the national cup and the U12’s away to Carraigaline / Hibernians. The U 14’s lost ou after a penalty shootout and so exit the cup at this stage however once again the U12’s, against higher ranked opposition produced a magnificent display to come away with a 2 – 0 victory. Played on the astroturf pitch it took a while for the lads to come to terms with the environment but they stood firm against some strong pressure applied by Carraigaline with Liam Twohig in goal being called on more than once to produce the goods which he did with aplomb.However the best chance of the half fell to Luke Casey when he got behind the Carraig defence to a 1 on 1 with the keeper with the keeper coming out best on this occasion. 10 minutes into the second half however a quick throw-in over the Carraig defence by Adam Murphy put Luke Casey in again and this time he made no mistake driving high to the net to give the keeper no chance. This spurred Carraigaline on however and the lads were under a lot of pressure for the remainder of the game , relying on breakaway attacks to try and increase their lead. This they did with 2 mins to go when Luke Casey broke down the right hand side to again go 1 on 1 with the keeper. This time the keeper stopped it but the rebound fell to Jack O’Connor who shot goalwards. With a defender working back to try and save Luke Casey doubled on it to ensure it hit the net to send the lads into the next round.