Weekly Club Notes

November 7, 2018

Hurlers WinIOMÁINT: Last week the Éire Óg hurlers proved themselves less than

generous hosts when they shamelessly sent their guests home


Monday they were matched against Glenealy in the Senior League and in

the event delivered a performance which boded well for their

competitiveness in senior ranks.

In the opening stages of the match the visitors were very much in the

driving seat while our lads really struggled to find their rhythm.

Glenealy capitalised on the scoreboard and there were ominous signs of

being over-run. However the Greystones lads began gradually to up the

pace of their effort- their first touch improved and their resistance

toughened with the result that by the 20 minute mark the play had

swung their way. At the short whistle the teams were on equal terms

1-4 to 0-7.

The second half was replete with tackling, spectacular blocking and

fine striking and afforded a very enjoyable spectacle. Even though

the locals had a 3 point lead after 50 minutes the game was still very

much in the melting pot. At this point an Éire Óg victory was ensured

by a Michael Walsh goal. It was a score worthy of its importance and

was one to which the commentators would apply the meaningless epithet

“unbelievable”. Michael, surrounded by defenders, pulled on a hopping

sliotar 12 metres out on the right and less than a metre from the end

line. It struck the net just on the inside of the far post. A

collective sigh of relief amongst the Éire Óg support.

Shane Nolan, Seán Hughes, Danny Nolan and Anto Byrne each contributed

(0-1) and Martin Joyce, who had an excellent game all-round, chipped

in with 0-4. James “Pooch” Cranley, skilful of camán and elusive of

foot, provided 6 points of which 4 came from frees. Anto Byrne had a

forceful presence around the centre where Kevin Byrne also made a

significant mark. James Kelly covered acres of ground in his role as

an attacking half-back and Peter Keane defended tigerishly in the


Junior: On Wednesday evening our junior hurlers were at home to

neighbours Kilcoole in the League.

History and contiguity have invested meetings between Éire Óg and

Kilcoole with a piquant rivalry so, whatever else can be said,

contests between these sides are seldom dull.

Wednesday’s game followed largely in this tradition.

The visitors were slower to settle than the hosts and as a result had

fallen 5 points behind at the break. At that stage they seemed to be

on their way to a comprehensive defeat. However, shortly after the

resumption the aspect of the match changed dramatically; a seemingly

innocuous ball from a long-distance Kilcoole free found its way

through a confusion of competing camáin straight to the net.

This was the tinder needed, the game immediately burst into competitive game.

A reinvigorated Kilcoole had the locals on the backfoot for a period

in the aftermath and succeeded in going 2 points ahead. This

dominance ended with a goal from the excellent Kristian “Buster” Flynn

(1-3) which was the near mirror image of the Kilcoole goal.

This was followed by an exchange of scores, which included a goal from

Stephen O’Neill (1-1), that ended with Éire Óg 4 points to the good.

A trademark goal from Paulie Sutton with his first touch off the bench

gave the Éire Óg following a sense of security which soon proved

itself to be somewhat false. Kilcoole fought back and the final

whistle saw our lads clinging desperately to a 2 point lead. (3-8 to


The last Greystones score was a beautifully delivered point from

Ciarán Goff. Other scorers were Martin Joyce (0-2) and Danny Nolan

(0-1). Barney Carroll was sound in his unaccustomed role of full-back

and he had an excellent shield in Daniel “Doc” O’Connor at

centre-back. Stephen O’Neill did very well in only his second game

after a long absence. Tom Elliot defended well at corner-back and Dec

Byrne showed no ill-effects after a prolonged lay-off due to a broken


COMHBHRÓN: Esther (Essie) Gammell who was buried on Good Friday was a

sister of Club President Danny Hatton and mother of well-known former

Kilcoole and County players John and Derek. The Club extends its

sincerest sympathies to the Gammell and Hatton families.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh anam Essie. on the Double